1. First make the paste. Thinly slice the shallots, finely chop the garlic and grate the ginger. Then place all the paste ingredients into a food processor and puree.
2. Heat the frying pan and add the peanut oil. Fry the blended spice paste for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tamarind paste and the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Taste and add the fish sauce and palm sugar.
5. Thinly slice the kaffir lime leaves.
6.Chop the barramundi into bite-sized pieces. Add the fish and lime leaves to the pan and simmer until the fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add a small amount of extra water if the curry becomes sticky.
7.Trim and thinly slice the spring onions, deseed and slice the chilli.
8.Serve with rice and garnish with spring onions, chilli and fresh coriander.